Working Towards A Goal
It was April of the year 2005 and I had applied for a local job working at Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park. At the time the job had no significant meaning besides the fact that it seemed like a much better job than working at a local fast food joint or home-town grocery store and I loved spending time in the "great outdoors." I remember I was babysitting and I received a call came from the assistant manager from the caverns. She informed me that I had been hired to be a part time guide, working only on the weekends and some of the more busy days of the summer. Initially I was disappointed that I had only received part time work but at the same time enthused that I would be working at such a neat place.
Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park is a state park located between Three Forks and Whitehall in southwest Montana. It is Montana's first and best known state park. For those who are willing to tackle the 2 mile - 2 hour tour of the caverns is in for a treat. After a ¾ of a mile hike visitors are treated to views of some of the most amazing subterranean scenery's known. The cave is highly decorated with formations such as stalagmites, stalactites, draperies (cave bacon), clusterite (cave popcorn), columns, helictites, and shields. As a guide at the caverns the job entailed conducting guided tours through the cave, interpreting the scientific and historical aspects of the cave in an educational and entertaining manner as well as being responsible for the safety and comfort of the group while in the cave. There would also be the opportunity to do additional interpretive programs, that is, if I was interested.
Between the option of giving cave tours or flipping burgers I definitely thought the Caverns was a much better choice. I kept thinking about how cool it would be to meet with people from all over the world and talk to them on a daily basis. I was a pretty outgoing person in high school and really enjoyed getting up in front of people to "entertain". I was also a trained opera singer and had performed in front of many people, many times, so the concept of speaking in front of large groups did not bother me. I just didn't know how I would do at this new job.
It wasn't until training that my luck was about to change. The new employees all gathered for yearly training put on by the folks in Helena from Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. It was fun but I still didn't know what I was going to think of the cave. It wasn’t until the second day of training that we actually got to go into the cave for the first time. I had no idea what it would be like inside of the caverns; I had NEVER been in a cave before.
I have to admit that it was kind of scary; dark, damp, and very mysterious. We proceeded on and I wasn't sure if I had chosen the right job. I was terribly afraid that maybe I would regret accepting the job that I had been so anxious to take.It wouldn't be for about another month, until the end of May, when I would graduate high school and be able to start work. It was during that time that one of the employees that had been hired for the summer decided to quit. This was my ticket to a full-time summer seasonal job at the cave. I was very pleased when I was offered the full-time position and I gladly accepted.
That summer I had so much fun and met so many great people, but to be completely honest I didn’t take it as seriously as I should have. After what I thought was an amazing summer I realized I had a lot more growing up to do. I took the next school year to really ponder how much I truly loved working at the caverns and I would often find myself in discussion with new friends about, what I thought, was the best job in the world.
I was lucky enough to get a second opportunity to come back and work again the next year at the cave… That is when it all really “changed for the better.” I truly felt like I flipped a 180 and did everything I possibly could to become the best cave tour guide ever. My enthusiasm and love for what I did continued to stay with for the next four years that I dedicated there. In that time I took in every extra interpretive program I could, conducted my own evening program voluntarily, and spent many hours both in and out of the cave learning every possible thing I could. I believe I got to a point where I was a very much relied upon member of the interpretive staff there and had the best guidance from folks I still think so much of! This is truly where I discovered that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and it made me so happy. I have never looked back since.
Taking this job was definitely the best decision I EVER made, and this is where it all began…


Comments
Post a Comment