Continuing A Legacy
I come from a long line of law enforcement officers ranging from sheriffs, deputies, dispatchers, military police, city patrol, and etc. I always told myself growing up I would never marry or become a law enforcement officer. I made these promises at a young age because I’ve grown up with my father always being involved in law enforcement in one manner or another; currently as a county deputy.
My dad loves his job and he is doing what he has always wanted to his whole life, which I think is amazing when someone accomplishes that goal, plus he is really good at what he does. But growing up I remember very vividly the phone ringing at 2 am and dad rushing out of the house for corner calls, or death threats to the family from someone who had no respect for the law, or all the times mother had dinner ready to go and dad wasn’t able to eat until about 6 hours later because he was busy at the office, or more often the case, busy somewhere out in the field.
It’s a VERY demanding profession and it doesn’t just affect oneself but also the entire family involved. While other children were learning their "ABC"s I was taught the phonetic radio alphabet, as well as falling asleep to scanners, and learning proper procedures on arrests, and incident codes. I think this is just something that runs through my blood. In this type of profession you are not a police officer from 9-5 but 24/7… it’s not just a job, it’s a lifestyle. As much as I have tried to stay away from law enforcement I feel almost drawn to it. I feel comfortable, and know I would excel in this profession.
I am highly considering going to the National Park Ranger Law Enforcement Academy down in Arizona and becoming a Law Enforcement Park Ranger. I've been thinking about this option since last year and over time have thought more and more about it. Compared to other women in the field, I know I could do this... Like I said it's in the blood.
Don't get me wrong I love what I do as an Interpretive Ranger but sometimes it's frustrating watching people break park rules and not being able to do anything about it. Sure, I love to educate but I also want to enforce... I want to protect the places I love so much!
I guess I will just keep this option in mind and consider it greatly... Wish me luck in making a decision.




Comments
Post a Comment