Drum Roll Please
So I've just returned home to my apartment in Custer, SD and am now enjoying a nice glass of wine. I know the question all of you are dying for me to answer "what kind of wine is it?" No, that isn't your question? Well in case you were interested it’s a delicious cabernet sauvignon out of a beautiful can. For those of you who were wondering about my first day at Jewel Cave well then where do I begin?
Jewel Cave is AMAZING!!! The monument is such a wonderful National Park Service unit. I cannot even put into words how wonderful the cave truly is. It is so massive and just gorgeous, truly a breath-taking sight. I don't even think pictures would do the place justice. I highly recommend everyone coming and visiting this amazing place, not to mention I would enjoy the company.
The staff so far seems like they are a great level-headed crew! They appear to be down to earth, and just overall really nice. My supervisor seems like a genuinely sincere person, and really knows his interpretation quite well. I went on two cave tours today, and both times I was just overwhelmed. I took them with a fellow Park Ranger named BethAnn and she was great. I learned a lot of amazing new things!
I am already shocked though... In Yellowstone you're lucky if you meet the supervisors, let alone even know who they are. Well today at Jewel Cave I got to meet EVERYBODY, including the superintendent. I understand it is a much smaller park but that was just really cool to get that opportunity.
I think the thing I was most shocked about today though is learning I would be the only GS5 ranger for the winter as opposed to all the rest being GS3/GS4, but the biggest shock was finding out I was Lead Seasonal Ranger!! How amazing is that? I am so excited for this job. I am trying not to be overly happy though because Murphy's Law never fails!
And for any of you who know my spelunker story... Well I found a formation (in the formation room) that looks like a cave potato today! That’s right… I was right all along!
Jewel Cave is AMAZING!!! The monument is such a wonderful National Park Service unit. I cannot even put into words how wonderful the cave truly is. It is so massive and just gorgeous, truly a breath-taking sight. I don't even think pictures would do the place justice. I highly recommend everyone coming and visiting this amazing place, not to mention I would enjoy the company.
The staff so far seems like they are a great level-headed crew! They appear to be down to earth, and just overall really nice. My supervisor seems like a genuinely sincere person, and really knows his interpretation quite well. I went on two cave tours today, and both times I was just overwhelmed. I took them with a fellow Park Ranger named BethAnn and she was great. I learned a lot of amazing new things!
I am already shocked though... In Yellowstone you're lucky if you meet the supervisors, let alone even know who they are. Well today at Jewel Cave I got to meet EVERYBODY, including the superintendent. I understand it is a much smaller park but that was just really cool to get that opportunity.
I think the thing I was most shocked about today though is learning I would be the only GS5 ranger for the winter as opposed to all the rest being GS3/GS4, but the biggest shock was finding out I was Lead Seasonal Ranger!! How amazing is that? I am so excited for this job. I am trying not to be overly happy though because Murphy's Law never fails!
And for any of you who know my spelunker story... Well I found a formation (in the formation room) that looks like a cave potato today! That’s right… I was right all along!


Lead Seasonal and you didn't know it? Awesome, dudette!
ReplyDelete