No Visitation
Today snow started to fall here in the Black Hills of 'Dakota, nothing big but a fine sprinkle of powder which oddly me miss winter back home. Here I sat another day as being Lead Seasonal Ranger but unfortunately my skill set is useless today as there were no visitors. The lights to the cave were never even turned on. This isn't all bad though, because it at least gives me an opportunity to work on some really awesome projects. I am pretty thankful I got this job; the work experience I will get out of it is amazing. I will be able to add some amazing projects to my resume. I am “moving up" faster in the National Park Service then I even thought I would and faster than most people often do. How lucky am I?
Currently I am working on creating and publishing a brochure for the monument on wildflowers, I'm sorry but if anyone knows me that well they know the two things I know the littlest information on are plants and birds (I need to brush up on this.) But give me a rock and I am all over that, it's the geology geek in me.
I met the Chief of Interpretation at Wind Cave National Park yesterday evening and he was an incredibly nice gentleman. He said he had heard lots of good things about me and came highly recommended. I am very grateful to the person who put in the good word for me. They know who they are, and it’s much appreciated. While talking to Tom, that is the Chief of Interpretation’s name, he mentioned “you can never know too many people in the park service” and boy oh boy is he ever right. The NPS is truly like one big family, what a great family too!
As far as my Jewel Cave tours, I feel they are going very well. I have received a lot of praise from visitors and it makes me feel so good inside. It’s really a rewarding experience, and I truly love what I do! I could do this forever and I really want to. Plus it’s amazing to interpret such an incredible place. What a beautiful cave! Speaking about interpreting/guiding that is another topic I want to really hit on in another one of my blog entries.
I broke down the other day with normal Park Service conflicts and called my mother to find support and guidance in her words. I know my parents support this profession I have chose but I truly wonder if they understand what it is I am complaining to them about.
Well, I promise I will write more but I must finish the day’s tasks and get ready to go home and buy groceries (first “real food” since I’ve been here, yay.)
Thanks for listening… wait is anyone out there?
Currently I am working on creating and publishing a brochure for the monument on wildflowers, I'm sorry but if anyone knows me that well they know the two things I know the littlest information on are plants and birds (I need to brush up on this.) But give me a rock and I am all over that, it's the geology geek in me.
I met the Chief of Interpretation at Wind Cave National Park yesterday evening and he was an incredibly nice gentleman. He said he had heard lots of good things about me and came highly recommended. I am very grateful to the person who put in the good word for me. They know who they are, and it’s much appreciated. While talking to Tom, that is the Chief of Interpretation’s name, he mentioned “you can never know too many people in the park service” and boy oh boy is he ever right. The NPS is truly like one big family, what a great family too!
As far as my Jewel Cave tours, I feel they are going very well. I have received a lot of praise from visitors and it makes me feel so good inside. It’s really a rewarding experience, and I truly love what I do! I could do this forever and I really want to. Plus it’s amazing to interpret such an incredible place. What a beautiful cave! Speaking about interpreting/guiding that is another topic I want to really hit on in another one of my blog entries.
I broke down the other day with normal Park Service conflicts and called my mother to find support and guidance in her words. I know my parents support this profession I have chose but I truly wonder if they understand what it is I am complaining to them about.
Well, I promise I will write more but I must finish the day’s tasks and get ready to go home and buy groceries (first “real food” since I’ve been here, yay.)
Thanks for listening… wait is anyone out there?


I am glad it is going well for you out there. Please keep blogging...I like hearing about your adventures.
ReplyDelete