"But Are You Happy?"

It's been far too long since I last documented my adventures in South Dakota but there is a very good reason for that... I've been so busy having a wonderful time.  Between hockey games, dinners, drinks, dancing, caving, fishing, and meeting new people I have found no time to write. 

My attitude has completely changed, and I feel it's for the better.  Not only have I noticed this change but my co-workers have brought it to my attention as well.  There is really only one song that can explain how I feel right now:


For those of you who might not know I have lost my heart in the Black Hills of Dakota.  I have not fallen in love with anyone, but with the Black Hills themselves.  They are so beautiful and I am captivated by their magnificence.  It's no wonder that their is such a rich western heritage here, no one wanted to leave such a wonder.

Now this is just as much of a shock to you as it is me.  I never thought that I could come around loving anything but Montana or Yellowstone National Park, but I have...

I've met some wonderful people out here who have truly made this experience so far a great one.  My coworker, Lydia, has really opened my eyes to things that are great about this place as she has helped me meet lots of great new people!  I've been blessed with being surrounded by a kind-hearted fun crew.



Recently, as in the last two weeks, I have definitely been what one may call a social butterfly.  I got to go to a hockey game with folks from the cave and met some others from the area too.  It was a Rapid City Rush game and it was a blast! 



They were playing Evansville and the Rush totally kicked butt.  Beforehand we all went to a Mexican restaurant near the civic center and then afterwards we all went downtown to a pub and listened to some live music for awhile before we headed back home.  It was a great time, and I am so happy that went! Great hockey game, great beer, great people.



Since then I hosted a dinner and had a great turn-out of folks, mostly fellow co-workers but also significant others and a fellow who works for the Forest Service.  I prepared a feast: fried chicken, (real) mashed potatoes with gravy, asparagus tossed with Parmesan, garlic and butter, french bread, homemade macaroni & cheese, and for desert apple dumplings with vanilla ice cream.  There were plenty of leftovers and over-all I think a pretty decent meal.  We played a game called "Ticket to Ride".  I definitely lost... But a plus side to the night I got a fishing trip planned, ice fishing that is.



So next on the agenda was ice fishing yesterday.  I really had a great time, I really couldn't have asked for better circumstances... oh except for actually catching a fish.  The dog that came along with us caught more fish then me, literally.  Mister, the name of the dog, went and visited some other folks on the ice bringing back with him a wonderful treat: a stiff, frozen fish.  Luckily fisherman from earlier in the day had left it laying on the ice so Mister didn't steal any one's catch of the day.  I had no luck with fishing though...  The person I went with ended up catching three little fish but still it was three more then me.  And of course he didn't catch the fish until after we made a bet on who would catch the most, it was just dinner on the line, but I so badly wanted to win (mom always told me not to bet but I was too competitive).  Overall, besides feeling like a Popsicle, I had a great time.  It was really good company and the coolest dog ever.

The title of my blog comes from a conversation later that night at dinner with the fellow fisherman.  As we talked on about different agencies and in particular the pros and cons of working for the National Park Service, much of what I have been "whining" about in my blog became part of the conversation.  I mentioned that sometimes you have to sacrifice things for what you want/need.  As I detailed on about in particular my South Dakota issue and coming out here, I was asked in regards to my move out here "are you happy?"  You know I really hadn't taken the time recently to really sit down and think about that and the answer was, yes.  I am actually 100% happy that I made the choice to come out here, I really have no regrets at all.  This situation has allowed me to learn things I do and don't want in my life, and while I am out here I am going to have fun to the fullest potential, no looking back, and really no regrets.

So as the days pass on I will try much harder to write and keep you up-to-date on happenings in the Black Hills of Dakota.  Only Dorris Day truly knows how I feel out here, and I wouldn't complain if I found a Howard Keel out here either :-)

Comments

  1. Excellent, Red-Headed Ranger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so glad and happy for you! I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts