Should I Stay or Should I Go
There is something to be said about finding a place where you feel like you belong; feeling at home. There is also something to be said about pursuing your dream... but what if you change your mind? What if what you once thought was your dream seems almost secondary in your life? I feel like I've come down to making one of the most difficult decisions ever.
Coming out to South Dakota was not just a career move, it was more than that. Sure, I wanted a winter job but I also wanted a fresh start; I wanted to begin a new journey in my life. There were a lot of sacrifices that came with me choosing to move out here, and when I first moved out here I often felt that maybe I had made the wrong decision... but now there are no regrets! I love the community of Custer, SD and could easily see myself settling into this amazing place. I'm slowly trying to get more involved in the community and getting the opportunity to meet great people. I have also met some of the coolest co-workers and friends that anyone could imagine... This is where my problem lies.
Part of me so badly wants to "settle down" somewhere and quit this nomadic lifestyle. Really, the only thing holding me back right now is money. I have been given the opportunity to do a job I have always dreamed of: working at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone National Park...
Most everyone tells me that Yellowstone is definitely the better option but there really is much more to it that. I don't know if I slightly influenced by the fact of watching all my closest friends have started to settle down and start families. Now, that isn't what I am looking for. In fact I came out to South Dakota having no intention at all of finding anyone that's not even a factor in my life right now. There is nothing to hold me to either location when it comes to that sense and that's the positive factor of it... I can go where I want.
I feel Yellowstone offers the "college" lifestyle. Nothing long term in any sense: work, relationships (both friends and significant others), housing, and etc. There is really never a sense of belonging, just a sense of passing through until the next best thing comes along.
I know that it would be a big sacrifice for me to stay out in the Black Hills, but sometimes we do crazy things and hope that it was a good decision to make. I mean look at my situation right now... what I thought may have been a horrible decision was one of the best things that ever happened to me!
There is so much more to all of this but I hope that I can make the right decision... Wish me luck!!
Coming out to South Dakota was not just a career move, it was more than that. Sure, I wanted a winter job but I also wanted a fresh start; I wanted to begin a new journey in my life. There were a lot of sacrifices that came with me choosing to move out here, and when I first moved out here I often felt that maybe I had made the wrong decision... but now there are no regrets! I love the community of Custer, SD and could easily see myself settling into this amazing place. I'm slowly trying to get more involved in the community and getting the opportunity to meet great people. I have also met some of the coolest co-workers and friends that anyone could imagine... This is where my problem lies.
Part of me so badly wants to "settle down" somewhere and quit this nomadic lifestyle. Really, the only thing holding me back right now is money. I have been given the opportunity to do a job I have always dreamed of: working at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone National Park...
Most everyone tells me that Yellowstone is definitely the better option but there really is much more to it that. I don't know if I slightly influenced by the fact of watching all my closest friends have started to settle down and start families. Now, that isn't what I am looking for. In fact I came out to South Dakota having no intention at all of finding anyone that's not even a factor in my life right now. There is nothing to hold me to either location when it comes to that sense and that's the positive factor of it... I can go where I want.
I feel Yellowstone offers the "college" lifestyle. Nothing long term in any sense: work, relationships (both friends and significant others), housing, and etc. There is really never a sense of belonging, just a sense of passing through until the next best thing comes along.
I know that it would be a big sacrifice for me to stay out in the Black Hills, but sometimes we do crazy things and hope that it was a good decision to make. I mean look at my situation right now... what I thought may have been a horrible decision was one of the best things that ever happened to me!
There is so much more to all of this but I hope that I can make the right decision... Wish me luck!!


Comments
Post a Comment