The Wonderful Wind Cave
I really enjoy the people I work with. Typically you always have at least that one person who gets under your skin or just drives you slightly batty (no pun intended) well maybe I am speaking too soon but I find everyone I work with very pleasant and really great! I truly could go on and on about how great my coworkers are but it would easily take up a good amount of space. I will just touch on the fact that I love the leads we have. Their experiences and friendliness make working at Wind Cave an incredible experience. One gentleman in particular has been working there for over 40 YEARS; isn't that amazing! Another gal worked there back in 70s and after taken a break in between she has come back to work at Wind Cave again, she is so great. Two folks, whom are married, are also really nice people. They are always willing to help in anyway and incredibly knowledgeable! Like I said incredible folks!
So today during one of my breaks of time to work on projects I started to read the guide log (a log book in which guides since 1983 have been keeping track of interesting visitor stories and activities the Wind Cave staff have been involved with.) I don't know why but when reading those types of journals I always wonder 'why does it seem people "back then" had what seemed like a more fun time at the workplace'? I think it could be a mixture of all sorts of things:
1) you could get away with more things in the past (things that if you said today or tried to pull would not be politically correct)
2) when folks are writing their stories in the log they embellish and make things sound more pleasant or fun then what they actually were
3) people view their jobs differently (what use to be just a summer job to folks and a good time in the summer is now more folks who are actually trying to make this their full-time career)
4) none-of-the-above. I could easily just be blowing these ideas out of my rear end and I could just as easily be making an observation that isn't true at all
The only reason I ever came to this conclusion is because within the logbook were fliers for all sorts of events from the past that seemed really great: talent shows, poetry readings, art galleries, BBQs, and etc...
Who knows... either way what a place and what a week! I feel it only appropriate to write another blog entry talking about my life as a whole right now. So as I conclude this blog, I encourage each and everyone of you to come to Wind Cave National Park and visit this incredible place, and I hope all of you are having a great summer and continue to do so!


Comments
Post a Comment