From the Mountains to the Prairies
I grew up in Montana almost my entire life with an amazing family. At a very young age it really didn’t mean anything to me that Montana was such a beautiful place. It wasn’t until I started to get older did I realize that I had been incredibly fortunate to have been raised in the state. I took for granted waking up every morning and having the view of the mountains, the lush wheat fields, and the most amazing sunsets. When I reached college I started to take advantage of my surroundings, taking more opportunities to enjoy what had always been sitting right in front of me. I learned to appreciate the fact that I could get out of class, drive 15 minutes out of town, and be at the trail head to a waterfall; this opportunity grew on me and I didn’t know how I could ever leave it. An essence of John Muir came over me. That is when I promised myself that not only would I find a job working in the great outdoors but that I also would never live somewhere where there were no mountains. Places like Alaska, Colorado, and Montana came to mind as far as states to one day settle down in. The mountains were calling and I just had to go…
I remember sitting in a wildlife biology class in college learning about endangered species in Montana. The class started to focus on the Black-Footed Ferret and that transitioned into learning about prairie habitats. I know that everyone associates Montana with mountains (I mean the name Montana means mountain in Spanish) but few people realize that a good half of the state is a prairie ecosystem, but if you’re from western Montana anything east of Billings is often referred to as the flat, boring part of the state. There seems to be a sense of superiority from western Montanans that mock and disregard eastern Montana. As class went on we discussed burrowing owls, black-tailed prairie dogs, salamanders, and etc. I thought to myself, sure it’s interesting but why do I care? I want to learn about wolves, grizzly bears, and moose. I took away a lot from that class, even though it would never be relevant … or would it?
I remember sitting in a wildlife biology class in college learning about endangered species in Montana. The class started to focus on the Black-Footed Ferret and that transitioned into learning about prairie habitats. I know that everyone associates Montana with mountains (I mean the name Montana means mountain in Spanish) but few people realize that a good half of the state is a prairie ecosystem, but if you’re from western Montana anything east of Billings is often referred to as the flat, boring part of the state. There seems to be a sense of superiority from western Montanans that mock and disregard eastern Montana. As class went on we discussed burrowing owls, black-tailed prairie dogs, salamanders, and etc. I thought to myself, sure it’s interesting but why do I care? I want to learn about wolves, grizzly bears, and moose. I took away a lot from that class, even though it would never be relevant … or would it?
I see the grass shake in the sun for leagues on either hand,
I see a river loop and run about a treeless land --
An empty plain, a steely pond, a distance diamond-clear,
And low blue naked hills beyond. And what is that to fear?"
"Go softly by that river-side or, when you would depart,
You'll find its every winding tied and knotted round your heart.
Be wary as the seasons pass, or you may ne'er outrun
The wind that sets that yellowed grass a-shiver 'neath the Sun."
I hear the summer storm outblown -- the drip of the grateful wheat.
I hear the hard trail telephone a far-off horse's feet.
I hear the horns of Autumn blow to the wild-fowl overhead;
And I hear the hush before the snow. And what is that to dread?"
"Take heed what spell the lightning weaves -- what charm the echoes shape --
Or, bound among a million sheaves, your soul shall not escape.
Bar home the door of summer nights lest those high planets drown
The memory of near delights in all the longed-for town.
"What need have I to long or fear? Now, friendly, I behold
My faithful seasons robe the year in silver and in gold.
Now I possess and am possessed of the land where I would be,
And the curve of half Earth's generous breast shall soothe and ravish me!"
A poem by Rudyard Kipling entitled: The Prairie captures the true essence of the prairie. My heart is no longer torn as I have found peace within the rustling grasses of this land. It seems almost primitive sitting in the prairie not as a watcher of these grasslands but instead being one with its existence. As I sit on a low knob I watch the bison graze and go about their lives so effortless. As kings of the North American jungle there is nobility to the beasts as they wander what was once the Great Plains. I can now almost imagine what it may have been like for early settlers headed out west, as they too were transformed from a place of comfort into this new enchanting landscape; welcomed by endless rolling plains, lush green and yellow grasses that when struck the right way by the billowing winds produce a captivating sea of waves. I am in awe. I have been transformed and have lost my heart. I see a river loop and run about a treeless land --
An empty plain, a steely pond, a distance diamond-clear,
And low blue naked hills beyond. And what is that to fear?"
"Go softly by that river-side or, when you would depart,
You'll find its every winding tied and knotted round your heart.
Be wary as the seasons pass, or you may ne'er outrun
The wind that sets that yellowed grass a-shiver 'neath the Sun."
I hear the summer storm outblown -- the drip of the grateful wheat.
I hear the hard trail telephone a far-off horse's feet.
I hear the horns of Autumn blow to the wild-fowl overhead;
And I hear the hush before the snow. And what is that to dread?"
"Take heed what spell the lightning weaves -- what charm the echoes shape --
Or, bound among a million sheaves, your soul shall not escape.
Bar home the door of summer nights lest those high planets drown
The memory of near delights in all the longed-for town.
"What need have I to long or fear? Now, friendly, I behold
My faithful seasons robe the year in silver and in gold.
Now I possess and am possessed of the land where I would be,
And the curve of half Earth's generous breast shall soothe and ravish me!"

It wasn’t long ago that I spoke of a disinterest of this landscape, but I think that came without the lack of knowledge and certainly the lack of experiencing it. It only goes to show that you truly cannot judge a book by its cover. There is importance in all habitats; from the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam...
The more I visit, photograph, and explore the more I learn. I love this place because I too am like a prairie; open. A prairie is inviting, it welcomes you to come and see what it has to offer as I too am inviting of others always being open to them. There is much to learn from the prairie and I’m sure with time I will get to learn more of her hidden secrets.
Be open to adventure and I hope that over time you too will see the beauty in this landscape. No longer do I promise the mountains I will reside near their side, nor do I even make promises to the endless prairies. I make a promise to myself to be happy no matter where I may be. This world has a lot to offer and I have a lot to offer the world, what a beautiful beginning to a relationship with the landscape. All I wish is to be at peace no matter where I may dwell and perhaps one day I call these wondrous rolling plains my home!



Love the article Amanda, its true that we take a lot of things in Montana, until I left the state I didnt know how nice it is to wake up to beautiful scenery
ReplyDeleteThis is just beautiful, Amanda....and really touched my heart. You have a wonderful way with words...and I can say ....this ...truly is ...awesome! I love the mountains, but the prairie fills my heart. You have captured it eloquently. Thanks! (from Barb)
ReplyDelete