Send A Ranger

"They are a fine, earnest, intelligent, and public-spirited body of men, these rangers. Though small in number, their influence is large. Many and long are the duties heaped upon their shoulders. If a trail is to be blazed, it is "send a ranger." If an animal is floundering in the snow, a ranger is sent to pull him out; if a bear is in the hotel, if a fire threatens a forest, if someone is to be saved, it is "send a ranger." If a Dude wants to know the why, if a Sagebrusher is puzzled about a road, it is "ask the ranger." Everything the ranger knows, he will tell you, ex-cept about himself."

- Stephen T. Mather

It's that time again... the temperature outside has reached over 100 degrees, the parking lot is packed full of cars, and extra tours are being thrown in; busy season has arrived!

Summer season 2012 has begun at Wind Cave National Park and it will be interesting to see what becomes of it.  The dynamics are so different from last year, but great none-the-less.  This will be my sixth season with the National Park Service and my 11th season in the field of interpretation and each year it brings on more challenges.  But the challenges don't necessarily get harder they get more complex.  The biggest challenge I face this year is finding the next big step in my career.  I need to be provoked, to be handed more responsibility.

With that in mind I've decided to head down a new path in my career, taking it upon myself to actually follow through on my dreams, this time not letting anything hold me back.  Once all is said and done and I have jumped through all the hoops and danced the dance I hope to become a commissioned Law Enforcement Park Ranger for the National Park Service.

It's the right thing to do... I just know it's the right step for me and I also think I'd be pretty darn good at it.  I've found through this journey there are so many amazing and incredible folks who have helped me through this process whether it be the support of family members, the constant questions I ask of fellow rangers, or the advice that so many coworkers are able to share with me.  The guidance of each one of these folks makes this experience that much more worth the work.

Now, this isn't an easy thing to accomplish over night, this decision comes with a lot of work.  I am now dedicated to a strict diet and exercise regime in order to fulfill my physical part of the academy and I've been researching and reading material hoping to emotionally prepare me for this journey.  As well as prepare to get my EMT certification this winter while I most likely stay in the Black Hills for my last season.

I've done plenty of research and I am hoping to attend Northern Arizona University for my Park Ranger Academy.  I've had well over a dozen friends whom have attended this particular location with only good things to say.  I started on my application today and found myself grinning from ear to ear the entire time while filling it out in anticipation of being accepted into NAU.

Of course there are many new challenges that come with this decision.  First off finding a job, balancing my personal life with work, and figuring out the next move. 

I get excited to think that my dad is really excited for me to begin this journey.  My father is by far the BEST law enforcement officer I have ever known.  He is fair, enthusiastic, and dedicated... everything a great LE should be.  I feel like I already one head up above the rest because I have the greatest role model in the field there is.  Not only that I sense that he is proud that I am choosing to follow in his footsteps and so many other family member's footsteps as well.  My mother is also a tremendous support and tells me everyday that I am making the right decision and has faith in me.

It's time to stop talking about it, and time to start acting on it...  To the journey ahead.

Comments

  1. Jeremy VogtAugust 15, 2012

    Hey Amanda. I found your blog while searching for a map of Jewel Cave. I'm a youth pastor and I want to use our experiences in the cave to talk about God. You were the cave guide for our tour of Wind Cave in early August. You were excellent. I can tell you're happy as a ranger, and I'm sure you'll make an excellent law enforcement ranger. thanks again for the great tour, and I hope the weather stays cool for you...although you can always climb into the cave if it's too hot outside I guess! bless you as you pursue your nexts steps. Sincerely, Jeremy Vogt and the Vogt family...British Columbia, canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, words can not express how neat it is that you found me on here! Thank you for your kind words but more importantly thank you for visiting our National Park Service units. The incredible thing about our National Parks is that they allow the human spirit, mind, and soul to be rediscovered. Even John Muir who was such an influential figure in the National Park movement saw the parks as 'churches and cathedrals,' it's where he personally felt the closest to God. I hope your teachings and there connection to the cave go over well, and hope the weather up there also treats you well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts