A Seussian Ode to the Interpreter
“I am a guide and I speak for the trees, for the rocks and the canyons, for ghosts on the breeze.
My tales are of history—you don’t need to implore me—I endeavor to tell every side of the story.
In my interpretive talks, not one creature’s irrelevant, be it gnat, goat or trout, be it bison or elephant.
I tell of the snail, the tiger and worm; I tell tales of whales—both killer and sperm.
And I speak using facts while I speak from the heart and so I’m always combining both science and art,
In hopes that while making these two grand things link, I am telling a tale that will make someone think.
“Experience this!” and “Go play with those!” they touch and they taste and they sniff with their nose,
And they learn through these programs how all things connect. And best of all they learn what to protect.
I try to provoke while I help them make sense of a world that is wonderful, complex and immense.
I am a ranger, a docent, a guide, a teller of tales, and I’m here by your side
Let’s go down that trail, let’s open that door, there are worlds and worlds and worlds to explore.”


Comments
Post a Comment