Fourth of July

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

It is moments like these that make one homesick… The Fourth of July has come and gone and there were no fireworks, there was no big party, no family, and no patriotic sing-a-longs (thank goodness!) But instead there was good food, a great friend, and wonderful conversations. I’ve come to realize that everything in life is subjective. We make decisions about most all of life’s situations based on our experiences.
 

The Fourth of July has always been a Hagerty holiday, you know that one holiday your family celebrates and goes all out for, hell my family will ‘celebrate Fourth of July’ throughout the entire year. Fourth of July has always been spent with my family in a large celebratory style; BBQ, fireworks, friends, family, and an all-around good time. This year, like the past two before, was not celebrated in the glorious manner like what seems so long ago. Sure it isn’t the same but it’s still wonderful in its own way.
 

It would be easy enough to be in a sappy mood and wish of what I could have or be happy for what I do have. I’ve given up on having expectations because too often they aren’t met and I only end disappointing myself, instead it’s much easier to take it for what it is and be appreciative.

Fourth of July in the past two years also took on a shape of itself. It was two years ago I threw a massive get-together at my home in Custer, SD inviting everyone I possibly knew… at least a good 50 people showed up and a good time was had by all (or I would like to think so!) The year after I spent Fourth of July with my coworkers in a celebratory fashion as we always did things but this year I played the ‘grown up’ card. Not to say that you’re ever too old for the holidays, just that this year I knew I had to work the next day and being as isolated as I am out here just needed to take the day to relax… but you can’t just do nothing. So instead of the manmade crackles, pops, and sparks filling the skies Mother Nature did a pretty damn good job of providing an excellent show. The booms were much spectacular, the light streaked across the sky, and the smell of fresh down pouring rain filled the air.
 

It was the perfect setting to start of the ‘lil grill throw on some shiskabobs and drink a beer whilst in good company. It was last night that I realized that days are not made of the events that play forth but the people we spend them with. I have been very blessed in my life to meet such incredible people, and better yet to call so many of these people my friends. So although I didn’t stay up much past 10 o’clock, even finish my one beer, or have a large group of people over I think I had myself the best Fourth of July anyone could ask for. Thank you to my friend who took the time to engage in conversation, and not only that actually listened to the words I had to say… friendship is a wonderful thing. I think C.S. Lewis was right when he said: “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
 

Wishes to all of you and I hope you had a great holiday... spent with great people!!

Comments

Popular Posts